Twitter have something to promote. Whether it is a product, blog or book, Twitter is a must-use self-promotion vehicle. What if you don't have anything to promote and no friends on Twitter. Is there any reason to sign up?
Yes. There are many reasons to use Twitter, even if you don't plan to post anything. Here are the top 8 reasons you should get a Twitter account and follow others:
1. News - Twitter is one of the best ways to keep up with the news. Follow your favorite news sources (they are all on Twitter) and get breaking news before it is published anywhere else. Here are just a few news accounts to follow: CNN, The NY Times, and Breaking News. You can also follow entertainment, technology, and sports media outlets.
2. Articles - Twitter is the best place to find links to articles published on magazines, newspapers and blogs. Tweeters love to share articles they have enjoyed and if you find people to follow with similar tastes as yours, you will find all the reading material you ever wanted right on Twitter.
3. Other people's thoughts and reactions to current events - Twitter is a fantastic source of opinions on all types of current events - news, sports, movies, TV, gadgets, books, music and more. You will find not only tweeter's opinions but links to reviews.
4. Celebrities - Follow your favorite celebrities (more and more are getting Twitter accounts all the time). They are a diverse group on Twitter, however, they are almost always interesting. You can also follow your favorite TV series and fan outlets. Here are some celebrity accounts: Adam Levine, Hugh Jackman, and Neil Patrick Harris.
5. Search - Are you looking for articles, news or thoughts on a specific topic. Just use Twitter's search tool and you will most likely find what you need.
6. Customer Support - Having a problem with a product and don't know where to turn. Check Twitter and see if the brand has a Twitter account. Then send a tweet with the brands Twitter handle (@___) at the beginning of the tweet and they will see it even without following you.
7. Events - One of my favorite non-promotional uses of Twitter. If you enjoy award shows and big sporting events (such as the upcoming Super Bowl and Academy Awards) then twitter is the place to be. You don't have to rely on the people you follow. Just search the Twitter Hashtag for the event (#__) and you will see what everyone on twitter using that Hashtag has to say about it.
8. Humor - Follow funny people like Stephen Colbert, Lord Voldemort, and Mindy Kaling.
If you would like an article on how Twitter works (if you are a newbie), let me know in the comments. I'd be happy to write on or just answer any Twitter questions you have. Eventually you may find yourself posting tweets of your own and joining in the conversation. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @jenwag57.