Here is what allergy sufferer Kate Walsh (Private Practice) and Zyrtec have to say about "Allergy Face"
Here are some other beauty tips for allergy season that Zyrtec shared with me:
- Sleep with your head elevated with an extra pillow or two. The elevation helps drain fluids from your face so skin and eyes are less puffy in the morning.
- Store makeup brushes in a sealed bag to prevent dust from setting in or wipe them off with a tissue after each use to reduce contamination.
- Be sure to apply your makeup next to a window. The natural light will help prevent you from applying too much makeup. You don’t need to go overboard on makeup to combat Allergy Face - the key is less is more.
- Use a lotion with a green tint to help disguise redness from constant blowing your nose and rubbing your eyes.
- Layer on a luminescent highlighter before your foundation to make your skin look awake and healthy.
- Use a copper bronzer and pink blush combination to really give skin oomph to help reduce redness and brighten up a puffy face.
- Stash two spoons in the fridge at all times. Take them out and place on top of your eyes whenever your eyes are puffy. The metal from the spoons holds in coldness longer so you get better results than using cucumber slices.
- Dab a clear lip gloss in the center of your lid to help brighten eyes and reflect light.
- Stick with lighter shadow colors – taupe, khaki – they are made with fewer dyes so they are less likely to bother your eyes. Bonus – they are in this fall!
- Rim your inner lids with a white pencil to help brighten up eyes and wake up your face.
- Avoid irritating your eyes by applying mascara just to the tips of your lashes – it gives you the look of an open and defined eye with less risk of upsetting eyes.
- Always buy fragrance free lotion-treated tissues.
- Trace white highlighter on the outer side of your nose to draw light away from the inside area.
- Try wearing a shade changing lipstick or a deep color such as Burgandy to keep the focus on your lips.
Share these tips with your daughter and she'll be grateful. And then you can both avoid "Allergy Face" this fall.
Full Disclosure: I went to an event held by the makers of Zyrtec in which they gave me a makeover using all the tips above. I received a few drugstore cosmetics to take home with me. I've been using Zyrtec allergy pills for years now and am a big fan.