8 Back to School apps for College Students
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
8 Back to School Apps for College Students:
1. Lookout Mobile Security – Whether you are downloading apps for studying or for fun, Lookout scans all downloaded apps prior to installation to make sure you are free from the malware, spyware and malicious links that collect personal information and issue unauthorized phone charges. Better yet, for the student who always loses their phone, Lookout includes a “Missing Device” feature which tracks a lost or stolen phone on an online map and can even sound a loud alarm!
2. Amazon Student iPhone app - When college students go to their school's bookstore they can use this app to scan the bar code of each textbook (and anything else in the store) they need (or want) and if Amazon offers it cheaper, just click and purchase from Amazon. A trade-in program is also offered for students.
3. Qik Video Connect – This free app allows students to video chat live with loved ones around the world, whether they’re on WiFi, 3G, 4G or WiMax. When you can’t chat live, there’s Video Mail so videos can be sent directly to friends and family, or shared on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Students can also share what they’re seeing with friends and family by livestreaming their Qik videos to social networks.
4. inClass - Great student organizer. Organize your schedule, no matter how complex. Keep track of all your courses and tasks with alerts so you will never be late again. Great for video, audio or photo notes and note sharing. (No add version $0.99)
5. TheFind – Have your teens done all their back to school clothes shopping? If you have daughters they are never done. For the student fashionista, TheFind’s iPhone app allows them to scan products on their mobile device, compare prices online and purchase directly in the most cost efficient way. Maybe this will give them extra time to study or spend time with you.
6. Kno Textbooks - This app is only available for the iPad, but it can be so valuable to college students that it just might make it worth investing in an iPad for the student that doesn't already have one. Over 100,000 e-textbooks can currently be purchased for 30-50% off their list price to be read on the Kno app. The app allows you to highlight, take notes and more right in the text. The app also contains a journal. All notes, highlights, stickies, etc from the text are automatically transferred to there.
7. Foursquare – For the student looking for post-studying fun, Foursquare is one of the most interactive apps around for college students to explore new places and find the best deals at local restaurants and bars.
8. Read it later - Not only for students (it is one of my favorite apps) it allows you to save articles from the Internet to read later from your mobile device, even without an Internet connection.
Do you use any apps that you would recommend to college students?
AppSmitten: App Recommendations by Women for Women
Polkast, Headquake, Lookout and More Top Rated Apps
8 Book Apps to find Great Reads
Scrible Research Tool for Web and iPad
Cool New Apps!
4 Mobile Apps for Parents of Teens and Tweens
College Bound and Gagged: Funny Helpful Book for Parents of Teens