What a great idea to use manga, which has become extremely popular worldwide in recent years. Manga is the Japanese word for comics. In Japan, people of all ages read manga, not just children. A very popular example of manga has been in the television show Heroes. Anime, which is Japanese animation, a form of manga, has been very big outside of Japan for years now, every since Pokemon became a hit more than a decade ago.
The Manga Guide to Statistics is basically a book written in comic format that teens can relate to. By combining an engaging story with instructional content, readers master each concept quickly as they learn alongside the story's main
characters, Rui and Mr. Yamamoto. Using real world examples, some of the lessons include how to:
- Calculate the mean, median, and standard deviation of bowling scores
- Graph ramen noodle prices on a histogram
- Determine the probability of getting an A on a math test
- Calculate the Cramer's coefficient to determine how boys and girls prefer to be asked out
- Use standard score to adjust test results when teachers grade on a curve